Statistics show that the average U.S. home contains more than 60 different toxic chemicals. From cleaning products and candles, toxins are all around us. And while they may not cause any immediate need for concern, they can certainly take a toll on your health, as well as the health of your family members, over time. Therefore, it's important for homeowners to take a proactive approach towards detoxifying their home, which is something we're going to discuss in this blog post.
Clean with Vinegar
Try to get into the habit of cleaning your home with vinegar instead of store-bought cleaning products. The problem with store-bought cleaning products is that many of them contain a plethora of harsh chemicals, some of which are toxic to humans. While effective at cleaning bathroom tile, counter tops and other surfaces, these products can be harmful to your health. Vinegar, on the other hand, is a completely safe and natural alternative that doesn't pose a risk to your health.
Avoid Paraffin Wax Candles
In addition to store-bought cleaning products, another common cause of toxins in the home is paraffin wax candles. Granted, paraffin wax isn't toxic in its solid state; it only becomes toxic when burned. Instead of paraffin wax candles, consider burning soy wax candles instead. Soy candles are a safer alternative that doesn't produce the same levels of toxins as their paraffin wax counterpart.
Additionally, you should avoid burning scented candles. Even if they are made of soy, scented candles may contain harmful chemicals and toxins.
You can also reduce the amount of toxins in your home by vacuuming on a daily basis. Toxins will often settle on the floor, where they'll accumulate unless remove. When enough toxins accumulate on your floors, it can pose a serious risk to your health. There's a quick and easy solution, however: vacuuming. Using a HEPA-filtration vacuum cleaner, go over your floors daily to remove toxins, dust, dirt, pet hair and other debris.
Open the Windows
When was the last time that you opened the windows in your home? Many homeowners don't realize that central air conditioning units use a closed system, meaning it recirculates air throughout your home instead of bringing in fresh air from outside. As a result, airborne toxins remain strapped and unable to escape. You can flush airborne toxins from your home, however, by opening the windows on occasion.